Boat building made easy!
to build one of these boats for yourself? Non-traditional skin-on-frame
construction is perhaps the quickest, easiest and least expensive way
to build a beautiful and capable boat. No boat building or
woodworking experience is necessary, and you'll only need a few tools.
Really, most anyone can do it, and building a SOF boat is a fantastic family project that everyone can enjoy!
- Cut out plywood frames - or just open the kit!
- Rip stringers - i.e. the gunwales, chines and keel
- Set up strongback (just a straight 2x4 on sawhorses) and
clamp on the first and last frames
- Temporarily attach stringers, then insert the rest of the
- Attach stems, then lash stingers to each frame
- Add floorboards and deck beams, and fabricate the cockpit
- Remove frame from strongback, then cover with polyester
- Coat the skin with paint or varnish
- Attach cockpit coaming and deck rigging
- Take pictures and go paddling!
Better - but not required!
- Jigsaw and blades
- Drill, with a selection of bits and drivers
- Hand tools - block plane or rasp, hand saw, staple gun,
large needles, paint brushes or rollers, sandpaper, a selection of
clamps, clothes iron or heat gun
- Saw horses
- Eye protection, dust mask or respirator, ear plugs, nitrile
or latex gloves
- Circular or Table saw
- Band saw
- Electric sander
- More clamps